If you aren’t already tired of my posts on running, you probably will be soon.
Since 12:37 am Sunday morning, I’ve officially been on my taper for Leadville. Saturday night I did a 23.5 mile group run from Fish Hatchery to the start/finish line in Leadville; since the course is an out-and-back, this was the first and last 23.5 miles of the course. We set off around 8:30 pm and a few hours later we found ourselves at 6th and Harrison in downtown Leadville. There were probably two dozen people, possibly more, out on the trail that night, but I ran the entire way with a guy I met that night who is also attempting his first Leadville. Unlike me, he had already run every section of the course several times, so he was able to guide me through the dark trails. Except for about an hour of rain, it was nice weather. I felt pretty good, but I was eager to get to the finish line because I knew my two week taper awaited me there. At the end of our run, we celebrated with a beer at the Scarlet Tavern.
So how am I feeling about the race? Not surprisingly, I now think about it all the time. About 85% of the time I’m eager for race day to arrive, about 10% of the time I feel anxious, and 5% of the time I feel slightly nauseated—that’s a long way to run! I feel great that I’ve made it this far injury free, and I think my training has been pretty solid.
Although most folks will probably find this overview of my training a bit tedious, I’ve included it mainly as (1) a confidence boosting exercise for myself and (2) for anybody reading this that signs up for a similar event and wants to know the specifics of my training (I’ve spent a lot of time scouring the internet for similar information). Of course, we’ll have to wait until the 21st to judge my training’s effectiveness.
Last October and November I started building up some base miles. Then I started following my training plan in December. Over the last few months, I’ve essentially followed a plan that had me running a 30 to 50 mile route every two to three weeks, with mostly 20 to 24 mile runs in between. For my long runs, I tried to get out the door around 4 am so I could get some practice running in the dark, see the sunrise, and be back home with the rest of the day still ahead of me. Because the Leadville course is anything but flat, virtually all my runs have significant climbing—even the short four milers Adrienne and I run have over 500 feet of climb. I ran the aptly named “Heinous Hill,” a relentless, steep one mile climb in the middle of a ten mile loop near our house that is just level enough to be runnable, probably six or seven times. Far and away, the most lung busting and leg crushing run/hike was the east ridge of Mt. Quandary. When I hiked it for the first time this winter, it took many hours and I had to stop every twenty-or-so steps to regain my breath on the ridge that leads up to the summit (granted, it is a much more difficult climb in winter). Thankfully, I had a much easier time with it this summer. I think I ran/hiked it four times in the last two months but I only summited twice (once I was thwarted by thunder as I started up the final pitch and once a family of mountain goats wouldn’t move off the narrow path halfway up the final pitch). My fastest summit was 1:16 with a roundtrip back to the trailhead in 2:08.
Additionally, for the last few months I’ve been doing P90X—yes the P90X that has been steadily advertised for the last few years via infomercial. If you’re already in decent shape, I highly recommend it. I didn’t follow the nutritional aspects of the program, so I can only speak to the effectiveness of the exercises. It is a really well rounded system, and you’d be hard pressed to find a trainer that could provide a better program. If only I had found this program in seventh grade I could have dominated the Presidential Fitness Challenge. For me the best parts are the yoga and stretching workouts. Distance runners are notoriously inflexible, and I think I was probably towards the more inflexible extreme of that already inflexible cohort. I’m not doing the splits yet, but I’m certainly the most flexible I’ve been since I was Jolee’s age. And I must admit, I always thought yoga was hard simply because I wasn’t flexible, but holy crap, it’s brutally tough. I get sorer from that than from anything else.
So with the inclusion of P90X, this is what my typical week looked like:
Monday: Upper body workout and no running
Tuesday: Plyometrics and run 4 miles
Wednesday: Upper body workout and run 10-12 miles
Thursday: Yoga and run 8 miles
Friday: Leg workout and no running
Saturday: Run 30-50 miles or 20-24 depending on the week
Sunday: Stretch and run 10 miles
Although I only listed stretching on Sunday, I ended up doing it whenever I got the chance; in these last few weeks, I’ve been stretching several times a week. I also managed to throw in a good amount of hiking. Carrying the kids on hikes added to the fun (I only carried them both one time—I learned my lesson)…
Nutrition-wise, I think I eat pretty well. For breakfast on most days I eat oatmeal with ground flaxseed, wheat germ, and some honey. For lunch I eat a lot of peanut butter and jellies and some turkey sandwiches. Adrienne, bless her heart, makes dinner 99% of the time and she feeds us well. She creates a wide variety of meals usually with fresh, local (or as close as we can get to here in Breck) produce. We don’t eat a lot of red meat, but I’ll sometimes have a burger if we go out to eat. I usually have two milk, whey protein, peanut butter, banana, ground flax seed, and wheat germ smoothies everyday too—one within thirty minutes of completing my main workout of the day and one later in the evening. Except for the milk in my smoothies, I pretty much drink only water (I haven’t had a soda or a caffeinated beverage in over ten years). And I probably have two or three beers a week.
For race day, I’m planning on consuming a little more than 200 calories per hour on a liquid diet of Hammer Nutrition’s Perpetuem. I’ll also take one Succeed S!Cap every one to two hours for electrolyte and potassium replacement. Hopefully I can make it the full distance on a liquid diet, but if I’m craving some “real” food, there will be plenty at the aid stations. Before the race, I’ll have a breakfast of yogurt and bananas about three hours before the gun goes off. The night before I’ll have a normal sized meal probably with a chicken breast and baked potato. For those looking for additional nutrition information, check out this article from Hammer Nutrition.
Gear-wise, I’ll be wearing Montrail Mountain Masochist shoes, Dirty Girl Gaiters, Teko Merino Light MiniCrew socks, the Nathan HPL #020 hydration pack with a Camelbak bladder and flow meter (the bite valve on the Nathan bladder is awful) filled with water, a Camelbak Quick Grip bottle filled with concentrated Perpetuem, and the Princeton Tec Apex Pro headlamp.
Additionally, if you’re doing Leadville, here is a great pacer/crew-guide and here is a strategy guide for finishing under 30 hours.
So there you have it in excruciating detail. I think that covers everything. Now I just have to run it.
8 comments:
I, for one, just love reading about this. I think it is so unbelievably amazing that you are going to do this race, and if I could sit across from you I would drill you for all of these details anyway. Plus, you are going to want to have these details later to look back on. Your training indeed sounds "solid" and I can't wait to hear every detail about the race. Congratulations on getting this far. As you yourself always say, getting to the starting line is a tremendous accomplishment. I'm so proud to know you! Enjoy your taper! GO LLOYD!
Speechless.
wow. impressive...Very excited and proud of you... can't wait for the recap of the race! and yeah i've been contemplating the whole stretching thing of late...since I too was blessed with incredible flexibility.. just not sure i have the patience for it.
lloyd, i don't know if you remember me, but i'm austin walker's sister. (of course you remember him; he was well-liked, as i remember it!). anyway i am an ultra-runner, have been since 1998, with times off for three pregnancies and general child mayhem. i have run a dozen 50Ks, some 60Ks, but never a 50M... that's my goal in the next year. i just completed a 60K this past summer (Grand Mesa 100) that turned into a 70K with course mismeasurement/markings so i'm pretty certain a 50M is in my near future.
anyway, i really liked reading your specific training plans.. and the nutrition aspect... i am going to use some of your techniques.
congrats on leadville. you rocked it!
sarah walker shrader
Sarah, of course I remember you. I had heard you were an ultra-runnin' machine. I hung out with Austin and his family after the Shut-In Ridge Trail Run in Asheville a few years back. My pacer at Leadville attempted the 100 miler at Grand Mesa; she too suffered from the awful/nonexistent course markings and had to drop due to stomach issues. I'll happily try to answer any questions you throw my way about moving up to 50 miles... sounds like you won't have much problem with it. I'm glad you found my training useful; I'm very appreciative of all the ultra-runners that share their insights, so I'm happy to be able to return the favor.
Lloyd,
-Does the battery pack on the back of your head bother you on the princetontec headlamp?
-What flavor of perpetuem to you prefer?
-Do you drink heed or just water and perpetuem?
-And one more question: remedies for blisters? i have never really been a blister person until this last year... usually during runs over 30 miles. i get them in between my toes, so they are very frustrating to heal.
those are my nerdy ultrarunner questions for the day.
sarah
Sarah, the battery pack doesn't bother me, but that headlamp is possibly overkill. It has four settings and I rarely use anything but the lowest setting. It was popular in the ultra community when I researched it two years ago, but at Leadville most were wearing smaller, simpler lamps.
At Leadville I washed down concentrated orange-vanilla Perpetuem (only flavor I've tried) with plain water. Perpetuem works well for me as it's very easy on the stomach...much better than Ensure, for instance. For distances not requiring extra calories, I drink Heed or Cytomax; I personally wouldn't wash down Perpetuem with anything but water, but I haven't experimented with it.
For blisters, get the book Fixing Your Feet by John Vonhof. It's the footcare bible for endurance athletes and long distance hikers. His website www.fixingyourfeet.com has tons of great information too.
thanks lloyd. i really like heed but it doesnt work great in hot temps or longer than 4 hours-ish. i ran with mike barton of olathe last weekend, a seasoned ultrarunner, do you know him? anyway he recommends a more lightweight headlamp and i was glad to get your input.
ok. anything upcoming? i have imogene this weekend, which should be fun. thinking about lake city 50M for spring. we'll see.
hope you're resting.
sarah
Post a Comment