Saturday, February 9, 2008

Colorado redux, part 2

A few other things about our trip to Colorado that I was too disgusted with the formatting of the previous post to include at the time ( I just wanted to post the thing and be done with it):

--It's sad to me that there are no pictures of June and my mom and dad (especially my mom, who was there longer than my dad) all together, because they spent so much of the week hanging out, bonding, and getting in good quality time. My parents are incredibly creative, patient and understanding with Junie, and it fills my heart with gratitude that June is so loved for being exactly who she is. The reason there are no pictures of them together is that my mom took all the pictures all week. I guess she must have actually read "The Joy of Digital Photography", instead of racking up late fees and returning it to the library, unread, in shame. Mom, I'll get some of you next time, I promise.

--The other thing my parents did for me was allow me to go snowshoeing, snowboarding, go out at night, and to sleep in in the morning like I used to be able to do before I became a mom myself. Mom, dad--thanks. I really enjoyed being able to run around without responsibilities.

--June was really a good little traveler. I did a good bit of worrying about our 2 cross-country plane trips before we left, all for naught. The flight out required agility, lightning-quick reflexes, and thinking on my feet to get us there without a meltdown, but we made it. The trip back she was a little under the weather and sleepy/mellow and really easy. Phew!

--So, as I mentioned, June was a little under the weather by the end of our trip. The runny nose that started the day we left for our trip suddenly blossomed into a temp of 104 degrees+, listlessness, and general crummy feelings.

In regard to that, here's my case for why Lauren deserves to be considered for Sister of the Year '08: the night June spiked her temp I spent a few hours trying to help her resettle back to sleep sometime in the very early morning hours. I went back to the room I was staying in but I could still hear Junie murmuring uncomfortably. Then I heard her giggling, then I heard her barking like a dog. This so unnerved me in the middle of the night that I went and woke my sister up from a dead sleep to be there with me. June felt so hot and so limp in my arms and then she started barking--I was terrified it meant something horrible.

Lauren stayed up with us for a few hours to help me get a grip on the situation and to help me decide to reschedule our return flight (we were supposed to leave the next morning) and handle all the logistics. Then, she got up with us to go to the urgent care clinic early the next morning even though I could have found it on my own and she didn't really have to come at all. But I was so happy to have her there, and she was the one who calmed June down enough for the nurse to complete the exam. The doctor took one look in June's ears and declared it an ear infection. Again, phew. She started antibiotics an hour later and was visibly much restored by the next morning. And I'll always be grateful to Lauren for doing that for us.

--Lauren and Foster were incredible hosts, gracious, accommodating and thoughtful in every way. I hope we get the chance to try to match their hospitality very soon.

--We missed Lloyd. June was so tickled to see him when we got back. And he kept the house clean and orderly for our homecoming. Can you beat that?!

0 comments: