Sunday, March 9, 2008

All the Dirt on June

March....time for yard work. Everyone gets dirt worked into the clothes, the treads of shoes, under the nails, everywhere. Truly, June has never been granted the opportunity to get as dirty as she did on this past Sunday.

Here she is helping me in my little raised plot of dirt (today I put in seedlings of mustard greens, spinach, chard, collards, romaine, and bibb lettuce. Check back for a progress report on that). She has her own set of kid-sized garden tools that are still comically out of proportion to her height and require motor skills she hasn't quite mastered.
But she's a determined little lassie, I assure you. She stuck it out with that shovel and moved a few molecules of dirt at a time.
After a while, yard work lost its gleam and it was on to the birdbath, filled to overflowing by the nearly 3 inches of rain we've had in the last week (praise the Lord. It's been a dry, dry time down here, in case you haven't heard). Here's an action shot: splash!
More exploration....
So, June has gotten funny about having any article of clothing taken off; she wouldn't let me either take off or straighten her hat. We're getting pretty good at just going with it. More difficult is when her clothing opinions extend to what I want to wear...I have 2 pairs of shoes that I can't wear around her because she just totally flips out.
Dirty....muddy.....wet.....happy....
....ditto.....
Here's an old favorite, the rain gauge. A wonderful little gadget to take apart and reassemble.
We didn't get all that much work done, but we got very dirty and we were very happy. That is, we were happy until the time came to strip off all those wet, dirty clothes. That's when the tears got going (I'm telling you, she's just funny about that, and most of all about the shoes! Don't try to take off her shoes!). Oh well; she's still a sweet pickle through and through.

5 comments:

rob said...

umm-umm collards, yes!

Adrienne said...

rob, do you cook? or does lisa? what can you do with collards? because if i actually harvest any, i'm going to need some help cooking them. what do you say?

Emily said...

Adrienne- Hi there miss! Teka told me that she ran into you and your lovely daughter recently. I asked her to send a photo or news of your family and so she naturally told me about your family blog. So nice to see your family happy and healthy and also to read your thoughtful writing on being a mother (just told my mom about it). It reminds me of the feeling I had reading a poem you wrote as a very young girl and being awed by the sophistication.
No blog or children (and therefore all blogs) yet but I think we are finally ready this year- so maybe I will get a blog next year- a bit of facebook and my website http://www.emilynathan.com
e

rob said...

Hey Adrienne, girl I can put in some work on them collards. Here's a healthy way I do them: Place 2-3 cans of chicken broth in a large pot along w/ a few cloves of diced garlic (for me the more garlic the better) and bring to a boil. Then add a diced onion and put your collards on top. Lower heat to a simmer and cook your collards to the consistency you like. It usually takes me about 45 mins of simmer to get them right. For a little kick add some pepper. If you ever have too many collards and need to get rid of them, we'll take first dibs! Take care.

Katye said...

She looks like she's having the time of her life. I think we should all play in the dirt as carefree as June sometimes. Those are the cutest pics ever.And I love that I can drag the image onto my desktop and change my wallpaper to a new pic of June every week.;0)

Happy Birthday, Adrienne!